From the beginning, akosma software was created with the objective of providing its customers with high quality software in different platforms. However, we are aware of the complex social and environmental context we are living in, and the current and future challenges generated by our daily actions on the climate of the planet and the fate of our world.
In particular, the use of computers, smartphones, electronic devices and other gadgets clearly has a strong impact on the environment, which we should try to evaluate and reduce.
To address the issues of carbon emissions, akosma software makes a vow of respect of the environment, and takes the following decisions towards the reduction of its carbon emissions, which in turn have a strong human impact:
- We will promote and encourage the use of public transportation and/or bycicles over fossile fuel-powered private vehicles whenever possible.
- We actively reduce our energy consumption by turning off all lights and computers at night, instead of leaving them running in “sleep” mode. We also use energy-saving light bulbs and actively look for ways to reduce our energy consumption.
- We promote the use of telecommuting, using tools such as Google Docs, Skype and instant messaging tools, which help people work together without having to be in the same room. While not always possible, our experience suggests that 60% (some say even more) of the normal work on our industry could be done from home. Which means less transportation and a more relaxed staff.
- We will always make sure that water taps in our offices don’t leak and don’t lose water. We try to reduce water losses and to enjoy responsibly every drop of it.
- We will avoid printing copies of electronic documents, unless explicitly required by third parties. We will use recycled paper as the base supply for our printing needs. The same goes by choosing not to buy paper copies of books or magazines, and instead to choose their electronic versions.
- We will subcontract out only to companies with a strong ecologic and ethic engagement, for example when dealing with hosted service companies or any other supplier of services.
- We will properly dispose of, and recycle whenever possible, as much used material as possible, including, but not limited to, paper, aluminium, batteries, electronic devices, recyclable organic waste and other elements.
Through these simple steps, akosma software aims to reduce its environmental and social impact to the minimum, and we choose to disclose these steps publicly for raising awareness in other companies as well.
What are you doing to reduce your carbon footprint? Feel free to share your tips and tricks on the comments below.